Friday, October 20, 2006

"Small moments can leave a big impression"

This was the title of the bulletin board I put up today. And by bulletin board I mean old-fashioned school staple and cork-board bulletin board. I'm not talking about a web bulletin board. I just finished up a unit on writing personal narratives with my students. We focused on "small moments" of our lives. Each student wrote a piece, trying to focus on a 5 minute segment of their lives. The most popular topic was writing about a moment with a pet (whether meeting a pet, a pet dying, a funny pet moment). Others wrote about playing the piano, falling asleep in chapel, fighting with a friend, etc. Then we revised the pieces using such strategies as: "find the heart of the story and stretch it out" and "add five sense words" and "include internal thinking." Anyway, I put up their writing on the bulletin board, along with small illustrations and comic strips they had drawn to accompany their words. I searched for some quotes by famous authors about "moments" to place around the bulletin board. I want to share a few because they are soooo philosophical (and I like them):

"This moment contains all moments." - C.S. Lewis

"The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries." - Corita Kent (RSHM)

"Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments." - Rose Kennedy

I was particularly happy to find the Tagore quote, as I am especially interested in Tagore after learning more about him in India.

My quote: The moments of our lives compound, overlap, magnify and direct each other, but remain distinct as well. Also, our lives are more than a sum of moments.

I always like reading books that tell about the small moments of people's lives. Like Prep, by Curtis Sittenfield, made up of vignettes. I totally recommend this book. It includes many small moments from the life of an adolescent (through the eyes of her 20-something self) and it addresses such topics as race/class/sexual orientation throughout as well.

3 comments:

Tara Dairman said...

Prep is a great example. In my own writing, I have the major plot outlined, but it's fun to actually figure out in the act of writing some of the things that the characters experience moment to moment. =)

lenses and frames said...

YEah, this reminds me of Ann Lamott's Bird by Bird where she has people describe what they got one day in their school lunch growing up. This could be a humorous account, seemingly uneventful, but contain emotions and thoughts that give a lot of insight into a person's character/personality/background.

Geoff Klock said...

Ralph Waldo Emerson on the value of a moment -- one of my favorites:

"We must be very suspicious of the deceptions of the element of time. It takes a good deal of time to eat or to sleep, or to earn a hundred dollars, and very little time to entertain a hope and an insight which becomes the light of our life."