Monday, January 29, 2007
teaching in inner-city schools
What would have made me stay at my first school? Well, I don't know. It might have taken a lot, because I was pretty disenchanted and stressed. I think I needed to do some self-exploration, development, and stress management, and also feel like I could have time to socialize, do other things besides spend time at school. But related to that, I think that a big factor I thought was missing at that school was mental health resources for students. And for that matter, for faculty as well. Not that I was asking for therapy for myself through the school, but I think many of my students could have used some counseling to deal with various situations they told me about. I didn't feel prepared to be a social worker or psychologist, and I felt as if my students could have benefited from more psychological support. One of the articles I just read discussed changing teacher education classes so as to be more supportive to pre-service teachers working in urban public schools. According to the author, this might include extensive journaling, reading, and small group discussions with teacher educators trained to help (mostly) White teachers challenge their "deficit views" about schools where the demographics are different from their own (Black and Hispanic) as well as develop a positive support system for implementing culturally appropriate, academically stimulating, effective teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Unfortunately, it's not just "inner-city schools"--it's working-class suburban schools as well.
I actually wouldn't have minded being a therapist to the kids, if I'd had a smaller class load. It's just a shortage of resources in general--not enough teachers per student, not enough counselors per student, not enough resources for teachers.
It's a tough game on the front line... tougher than the movies make it out to be!
Post a Comment