Sunday, November 26, 2006

I hate car alarms

There has got to be a better way to fashion this car alarm thing. An especially obnoxious car alarm was just going outside for the past hour. It had 3 different sirens/alarms going at the same time. I finally called 311 to file a noise complaint. They said I needed to have the type of car and the license plate #. So I went outside, and the car was a block away (it sounded like it was right outside my window). Turns out there were several police cars there already, taking down their info. They people came running down the street... It was a family -two parents and an eleven year old son. There has got to be a better way to keep your car safe. They had so much junk in their car, probably someone was trying to break in. This is what the police told them, which I'm sure only made them feel justified in having the stupid car alarm in the first place.

What about having a series of lights and a softer alarm that says something like "authorities/owner are being contacted about this..." And then don't we have the technology to call the authorities (maybe create a new office of car theft, etc) or the owners. Sometimes stupid things like branches falling or bikers getting too close to the car, or the freakin' wind cause these motion detectors to go off.

I am so annoyed. This is not the first time this has happened, either. While I'm sleeping, while I took exams during college, stupid car alarms would go off and beep for hours. Does anyone have any better ideas for new car alarms?

My head hurts from listening to it for too long. There's gotta be a better way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about instead of noise the car silently and instantaneously turns the person who bumped into it into a small pile of colored powder?

Tara Dairman said...

Tee hee hee.

Car alarms suck. I feel like I remember when they first became all the rage in the '90s...you couldn't lay a finger on a person's car without a crazy alarm being set off. I feel like they've gotten better of late--less sensitive, less long-lasting--but apparently they are still far from perfect. I think they're utterly ridiculous in the city, when your car may be parked blocks from your home and you'll never hear the alarm go off anyway.

Anonymous said...

What if car alarms were more like cell phone rings? That way you could download the latest pop song or the Star Wars theme or whatever you want to ring when someone brushes against it or the train goes by when it's parked under the subway (if the train is elevated, as it is outside my bedroom window). And you could set your car to "vibe" -- now THAT would get a burglar's attention!

lenses and frames said...

Oh my gosh, I love the cell phone ring idea for car alarms, lindsay! I would want mine to play New Order. Or Nellie Fertado. And turning to "vibe" would definitely freak people out!

Turning people into powder would be an interesting experiment, especially since it is colored powder.